Work Visa

To get employment in the UK, you need to get the work visa. There are various types under UK working visas and work permits that allow you to legally work in the UK. Every visa types have their own requirements and restrictions which have to be fulfilled to get the visa. If you are outside the EEA or Switzerland, the work visa will be granted to you depending on your nationality and your field of work. The citizens of EEA or Switzerland don’t need any visa to work in the UK.

 UK Work Visa requirements

If you’re nationals of EEA or Switzerland, you have the authority to live in the UK and work there without the access of having the UK work visa. The nationals outside the EEA or Switzerland need to obtain a visa to work here. Citizens of selected countries can enter the UK and stay for the span of 6 months without holding any visa, provided, they can’t do paid or unpaid work.
Some of the UK work visas demands sponsorship from the UK-based employers so the applicants need to get a valid job offer and sponsorship prior to applying for the Work visa. Currently, UK work visas don’t deal with low-skilled employment so you can’t enter the UK on for temporary or low-skilled work. You can work in the UK if you are moving to the UK on a UK family visa to join your family or closed relatives.

Following group of people are free from meeting the UK work visa requirements:
a) Diplomats who were not in the UK when the designation or job was offered.
b) International government ministers who are on their official business work
c) Overseas Territories armed forces and members of Commonwealth transferred to the UK.
d) If you are for the state visitor working for a head of state.



UK encourages one and all who can contribute to the British economy, and core to this ideology are skilled people, ranging from investors to entrepreneurs and even new workers. This nation has its Work Visa categories designed to attract professionals from all industries to occupy essential positions.

The UK Work Visa programs comprises of flexible visa categories which allow capable individuals and their families to work and reside in the United Kingdom. These visas can lead to UK permanent residence option and one can even obtain British Nationality.

Work Visa program eventually leads to Permanent Residency Visa which let immigrants to enter and settle down in UK and appreciates the rights & benefits in the nation without being its citizen. Permanent Residency select talented immigrants who are not supported by any Employer nor have any former employment offer from UK, however have their own abilities in a specific occupation needed in the Country.

Types of UK Work visa

a) Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa – this belongs to the scholars who have received recognization as leaders in Science, Humanities, Engineering, medicine, digital technology, and the arts. This visa category lasts up to 5 years and can be extended further for the next 5 years. Every year 1000 of visas issued.

b) Tier 1 (General) visa – is valid for three years period. You can work in the UK without the sponsorship from a sponsor. Note- You can no longer apply to this visa.

c) Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa – the candidates who are graduated from the UK and are being selected by the higher UK authorities for their incredible business ideas are eligible to apply for this visa. You should be outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland and have to meet all the eligibility requirements.

d) Tier 1 (Investor) Visa – if you want to make the UK your next home and you have sufficient funds to invest in the UK, you may apply for this visa category. The nationals of EEA and Switzerland don’t require any visa to work in the UK. The candidates outside the EEA and Switzerland are restricted to apply for this visa. You can stay for the period of three years and four months on this visa.

e) Tier 2(General) visa – it is valid for 6 years. The applicants who have offered a job and received a nomination for the employment from the authorized UK organization.

f) Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa – the validity of this visa lies between 6 months and 9 years, as per the post you have been offered. The overseas employers who are transferred to the UK branch from their native branch are eligible to apply under this visa category.

g) Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa – this visa is valid for up to three years and 1 month and is applicable to those applicants who are from outside the EEA and Switzerland, and have been offered a job within a faith community in the UK.

h) Tier 2 ( Sportsperson) visa – If you’re an experienced sportsperson or a coach and have received recognition from your Sport governing body , and have authorized  Tier 2 sponsorship license are eligible to apply for the visa program.

i) Tier 2 Priority Service – this visa is used to extend or switch to a tier 2 visa. To apply for this visa, you should be present in the UK. You have to send a request to use this priority service. The first 60 requests received after 8:30 am from Monday to Friday get selected.

j) Tier 5 (Temporary Worker- Creative and sporting) visa– if you’re an actor, musician or works in a creative industry and have been offered work in the UK in your field, you may apply for the visa. You can stay in the UK for the maximum of 12 months and if you want to continue your stay, you can apply for the extension period.

k) Tier 5 ( Temporary Worker- Government Authorized Exchange Visa)– this visa is for the applicants who wants to visit the UK for work purpose or to do training, research or a fellowship under the approved Government exchange scheme. You can stay for the period of one year or two year on this visa.

l) Tier 5 (Temporary Worker- International Agreement) Visa – the applicants from outside the European Economic Area (EEA ) and Switzerland have receive the contract to do work covered by international law while in the UK. You can stay for the maximum period of two years or till the time your sponsorship is valid, whichever is of less duration.

m) Tier 5 (Temporary Worker- Religious Worker) visa – if you want to find a work opportunity in religious work, such as preaching or any other, you may apply for this visa. You need to get certificate from a licensed sponsor before applying for the visa.

n) Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) – if your age lies in the 18-30 group and wants to reside and work in the UK for the span of two years, this visa is an ideal choice for you. You can work in most jobs.

o) Domestic Workers in a Private Household visa – the domestic workers who have worked for their employers for at least one year of span. This visa is valid for the period of six months only.

With our expert team of Immigration counselors who are trained in UK Immigration programs, you can attain detail knowledge on UK work visa program including visa eligibility using our free visa assessment, work visa requirements, visa processing time and visa cost. One can also secure UK work permit under the skilled occupation list in which the nation list outs few occupation which is in high demand in UK at that particular time.

UK work visa is designed for skilled international workers who are seeking successful career growth along with peaceful life. For availing more information about the UK Work visa, you can contact the Immigration experts by dialing official helpline +91-7042184185 or write down your queries on info@makevisas.com .