H1B special occupation (Temporary work visas)

The H1B special occupation visa is constructed for individuals seeking services in a specialty occupation category, employment related to a Department of Defense (DOD) cooperative research & development project, or a fashion model of distinguished merit or ability. It is a temporary work visa for talented aspirants with a job offer in a specialty occupation from a US Employer.

What you need to be eligible for the Visa Program?
Basic Requirements

  • An employment offer in a specialty occupation category, Department of Defense (DOD) cooperative research & development project, or a fashion model category from a US employer.
  • Your employment offer must be related to your field of study.
  • Health and character certificates.

How H1B special occupation visa works?

Step 1 – The employer must apply for and receive Department of labor (DOL) certification of Labor Condition Application (LCA).

Step 2 – The employer should file a petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, with the correct USCIS Service Center along with the DOL-certified LCA.

Step 3 – Once the petition has been approved, the prospective candidate may apply for an H1B visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.

How much time does the process takes?

The Duration for Visa processing depends upon the particular case lodged and is based on personal circumstances.
A time period of 3 to 6 months on average is taken to process this visa application for overseas applicants if all the requirements are met.

Benefits for H1B special occupation visa

  • Enter United States and work in a for a time period of 6 years.
  • Visa holders can extend their stay beyond the 6 year limit.
  • There is no need for an international worker to have a foreign residence.
  • After working for 6 years under H1B status, one can change his employer while being in US.
  • Bring your spouse and children below 21 years of age to the United States during your stay under the H-1B status.
  • Work for more than one U.S. employer with multiple H-1B petitions.
  • Apply for permanent U.S. residence through an immigrant petition.