The following is a summary of the main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
- Desktop publishing operators operate desktop publishing software and equipment to design, lay out and produce camera-ready copy and may perform pre-flight operator duties.
- Markup persons mark copy with computer codes and typographic instructions before it is typeset.
- Typesetting input operators input copy, codes or commands and subsequent corrections into typesetting device or system; operate media conversion equipment to process and format copy transmitted through telecommunications.
- Typesetting output operators operate and tend typesetting output devices, load and process photosensitive material and perform routine maintenance.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college program in graphic arts, or other training in typography, computer typesetting or desktop publishing, is usually required.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible through experience.
- Graphic arts copy stylists and paste-up artists (in 5223 Graphic arts technicians)
- Desktop publishing operator supervisors (in 1211 Supervisors, general office and administrative support workers)
- Graphic designers and illustrators (5241)
- Pre-flight and file preparation operators (in 9472 Camera, platemaking and other prepress occupations)
- Proofreaders (in 1452 Correspondence, publication and regulatory clerks)
Back to Find your NOC