Home / Australia Immigration / Student visa Subclass 500

  Student visa Subclass 500

Student visa Subclass 500 allows International students who wish to study full-time in Australia under Australian Student visa program  in a recognized education institution. Students are allowed to live in Australia under Australian immigration  till the time course is completed.

Student visa Subclass 500 Australia requirement:

To be eligible to apply under the Student visa 500, the applicant must:

  • Be at least six years of age.
  • Meet health insurance.
  • Been accepted to full-time study in a recognized education institution in Australia.
  • Have organized welfare arrangements till your stay in Australia, if you are less than 18 years of age.


a) Enrollment

With limited exceptions, you must be enrolled in a course of study that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

If you are applying from outside Australia, you must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study with your visa application. A letter of offer from your education provider will not be accepted.

If you are applying for more than one course in your student visa application, you must include all Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) codes in the application form or the visa may only be granted for the CoE provided.

b) Genuine temporary entrant

All student visa applicants have to meet the GTE requirement. You have to satisfy the officer who will assess the visa that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia on temporary basis.

c) English language requirements

All the student visa applicants might need to submit proofs of their English language skills along with the visa application. If you are asked to provide proof of your English language proficiency, the minimum English language test score will be accepted.

d) Financial Capacity  requirements

You must be financially strong to fulfill your needs and requirements including your course fees, living and travelling costs.  You must have sufficient money to finance your accompanying family members while you are in Australia.

  • You might need to provide evidence of your financial capacity with your visa application.

 You have to show one of the following below-mentioned  evidence of financial capacity, you will be able to demonstrate this by providing one of the following:

  • Evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months living, course and (for school aged dependents) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members
  • Evidence that you meet the annual income requirement
  • Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students (AASES) form (secondary exchange students only)
  • Letter of support from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence.

e) Health requirements

Applicants have to qualify the health requirements. The health exam depends on factors like the applicant’s citizenship; time spent in other nation(s) from past five years, and intended activities in Australia. The health exam result lasts for up to 12 months.

f) Character requirements

Applicants have to meet the character requirements. A police clearance certificate from every nation, where the applicant has resided in, for last 12 months during the past 10 years after turning 16 years of age must be submitted , if ask by higher authorities.

Australian Student visa process:

Applicant must submit all the required documents in order to support the visa application. The Immigration authority will analyze utilizing the data given at the time of visa application.

Applicants have to submit certified copies of the original documents.  If the documents are not in English language, the authorized English translation documents must be submitted.

Applicant can follow the below- given Student visa 500 checklist in order to make sure that the visa application do not remain incomplete.

Student visa 500 checklist:

a) Identity

You have to submit your Identity proofs.  You may provide a copy of your passport, certified copy of your birth certificate, driving license, or National identity card.  

b) Evidence of intended study

You have to provide the evidence of your intended study to make a valid application. If not in a special category listed below, you have to provide:

  • A Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for all intended courses if applying outside Australia.
  • A CoE or letter of offer for all intended courses if applying in Australia (a CoE must be provided before the visa can be granted).

c) Parental consent

If you have a child under the age of 18 included in the visa application and one or both parents (or legal guardians) are not applying for an Australian visa, both parents will need to complete and sign the Form 1229 – Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years.

If you have sole custody of the children, provide evidence such as a court order.

d) Health insurance

You have to provide the evidence of adequate health insurance. Applicants can obtain Health insurance through Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

You must obtain OSHC for yourself and any accompanying dependents at least one week before your course starts for the duration of your stay in Australia.

e) Evidence of financial capacity

You must provide either:

  • sufficient funds to cover your travel costs and 12 months of living and tuition fees for you and your accompanying family members and school costs for any school aged dependants
  • evidence that your spouse or parents are willing to support you and they have an annual income of at least AUD 60,000 for single students or at least AUD 70,000 for students that are accompanied by family members
  • an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students form for secondary exchange students only
  • a letter of support from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence.
  • Student visa 500 subsequent entrant– family members who apply after the primary applicant has been granted their visa must also provide documentary evidence of financial capacity.

f) Evidence of English language ability

Applicants have to provide a proof that they have obtained minimum test score in English Language Test or evidence of certain eligible studies in English or if you fall into an exemption category.

G) Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement

You have to submit the evidence that you meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement for a student visa. You have to add a statement in your application form that you intend to stay in Australia temporarily and/or documentation to support claims. The statement must be written by the applicant even if using an agent.

You can include evidence such as:

  • Proof of employment – your current or most recent employment which includes pay slips or a contract. You can also attach your most recent curriculum vitae or résumé. Your curriculum vitae or résumé should include employment and educational history.
  • Qualifications – a certified copy of your academic transcripts, Educational Certificate (Degree, Diploma etc.) or letter/statement from your overseas Education Institution.
  • Australian qualifications – a certified copy of your academic transcripts, Educational Certificate (Degree, Diploma etc.) or letter/statement from your Australian Education Institution.

h) Change of name

If the applicant or other member added in the application has changed his or her name, certified copies of documents verifying the name change must be submitted. This includes a marriage or deed poll certificate or a certified copy of evidence of the name change.

i) Relationship – spouse, de facto partner

If you are in relationship or have any de-facto partner, you have to submit valid proofs and that includes a certified copy of your marriage certificate, Family Book, Household Booklet or other evidence of family composition.

j) Employment history

You can submit your recent updated resume or curriculum vitae mentioning both employment and study status from the past five years. You can also submit the pay slips or a contract of your recent past job or if you are currently employed, as an evidence of your employment.

Student visa Subclass 500 conditions

If you are a student visa holder, you have to obey certain conditions. Some of the Visa subclass 500 conditions are explained as follows-

  • Condition 8105 –  You are not allowed to work more than 40 hours per fortnight or 20 hours per week, if your registered course of study is in session.
  • Condition 8202 – You have to maintain enrolment in a registered full time course of study;
  • Condition 8501 – While you are in Australia, you must maintain their Overseas Student Health Cover;
  • Condition 8516 – If you are the main applicant, you must continue to satisfy the requirements to be granted a visa. This means that you must remain subject to a course of study, have adequate financial resources, and obey your student visa conditions;
  • Condition 8533 – if you were outside of Australia when the visa was granted, you must notify your education provider of your residential address within 7 days of moving to Australia.

Student Visa Subclass 500 Australia work

Under student visa subclass 500, you and your dependant members included with the visa are allowed to work. You are not allowed to work until you have commenced your course in Australia. Once your course has commenced, you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is out of session.

Extending the Student visa Subclass 500 

If you need to extend your student visa either for further studies or you want more time for your study program , you simply can apply for new visa application before your current visa expires. You have to apply at least one month before your current visa expires.

Student Visa Subclass 500 Australia processing time

Applicant has to submit all the required documents and complete payment of the application at the time of visa application.  After submitting the visa application, immigration authorities will inform that they have received your data.

​Stream 75 % applications processed 90% applications processed
Postgraduate Research Sector ​51 months ​04 months
​Independent ELICOS Sector ​38 months ​50 months
​Higher Education Sector ​36 months ​68 months

Student visa Subclass 500 Australia cost

Student visa subclass 500 costs modifies with time. Applicant has to pay modified charges if there is any increase in price between the filling date and the date Immigration authorities received the application.

Subclass  Base application charge Additional applicant charge
18 and over

Additional applicant charge under 18

Student Visa (Subclass- 500) $560 $420



Note – all the charges should be in dollars.

Second installment: Applicant has to pay the second installment for the added family member in the application who are more than 18 years of age and don’t have functional English.

Other costs: applicant may need to pay the other costs including health assessment costs, test costs or other costs.

Student visa subclass 500 Benefits

Student visa subclass 500 is for the students who want to study Australia in a registered education institution.

  • You can study a CRICOS registered full-time course in Australia.
  • Eligible family members can accompany you to Australia.

To know more information about any visa program of Australian immigration, you can visit our official website or call: 011-48414141 .

Related Links:

Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)

Temporary work (skilled) visa – Subclass 457: Abolished & Replaced

Skilled Independent Visa – Subclass 189

Skilled Nominated visa – subclass 190

Skilled Regional provisional Visa Subclass 489

Regional sponsored Migration scheme visa (Subclass 187)

Short-term Skilled Occupation List STSOL (2017-18)

Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List MLTSSL (2017-18)


Australia Immigration

Free Assessment Form

make visas

Your First Step to Successful Immigration to Australia

Before Going any Further, Take Your Most Important Steps For Australian Immigration.

  1. Take a Free Australian Visa Assessment and know which are the best
    Visa program that matches your profile
  2. Get to know if your Profile is eligible or not with Make Visas Eligibility Calculator
  3. Find out if your desired job profile is available in the Australian Job Market and
    increase the chances of your acceptance
  4. Connect with us by speaking to Make Visas Immigration Counselors


get in touch with us

Contact Make Visas and get an expert opinion for all your migration needs with an unmatched assistance from our
renowned Immigration Consultants.





Additional info

If you have any further query regarding our services or would like to
know more about any visa program,please email us or call us.
We’ll get in touch with you within 24 hours

VMake Visas Pvt. Ltd.

Ever since the early man learnt how to travel, he has been moving from place to place to find a place that suits his needs the best and once he finds that place, he settles there. The only difference between the early man and the modern man is that we don’t really need to physically travel to the place to know that it will give us a good home. Everything is always just a click away. So we at make Visas are just one call away for all your foreign immigration queries. We deal with various visa categories for countries like Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, Germany, Denmark, UK, USA, New Zealand, etc. At the most reasonable and the lowest consultancy rates in the market.

All you have to do is just give us a call or fill out an assessment form.

Contact Us

Delhi: 011-48414141

Pune: 020-67299393


Business Hours


9:30 AM to 6:30 PM